Friday, May 7, 2010

Do you hear what I hear?

I basically enjoyed school from the beginning. I had fantastic teachers and performed very well starting in the early grades. There were really only 2 things I definitely despised about school- Mrs Stelter a first grade teacher (not mine thankfully, I had Mrs Loworly who was a very gentle old lady) and that blasted hearing test!
In grade school, if you fail the eye test they move you up front and notify your parents to take you to the eye doctor and all is well. However if you fail the ear test.... We all remember that don't we? They take you into the room and place these large, space-like, rubber ear things over your ears (and half your head) and ask you to raise your hand on whichever side you hear the obnoxious tone... simple. Well when I took it FAIL! I would say in my nice small voice "I have a perforated eardrum" and they would say YOU FAILED!! Quite loudly, perhaps in case I could not hear them. Now what? Do I get moved up, like the not-so-sighted kids? Will the teacher just yell a little louder ... nope , nothing! Until a couple days later..."HEY KID, YOU GOTTA TAKE THE HEARING TEST AGAIN!" Why would I do better? I had not done any ear exercises and the cycle continued, every couple of years, I hated that test. A quick story about Mrs. Stelter.... she once lifted me off the ground by my ear during a filmstrip, mean lady... I wonder if lifting a small child into the air by his ear can cause a perforated eardrum.... I smell a lawsuit!
My hearing today is on again off again...can't quite figure it out. My lovely family will often saw they just told me about a certain something and I honestly did not hear a thing. However, when I am in the shower I can hear amazingly. I can hear the phone ring and nobody else hears it! Perhaps it's the neighbors phone, WOW! I almost always hear the garbage truck picking up the garbage bins while the shower is pelting me in the face. Sometime it is not even garbage day so it must be from a mile or two away... amazing! Sometimes I can hear Mrs Stelter saying in that sweet small voice "ARE YOU TALKING DURING THIS HOW MILK IS MADE FILMSTRIP!" can't believe she's still out there teaching....

Eye will see you later...

No comments:

Post a Comment