Monday, February 22, 2010

Creatures of habit...


Habits-an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary

We all have them, some we are aware of and some we don't even know they exist. I would say we can split habits into 2 categories
the "bad" habits - smoking, biting your fingernails, picking things, swearing, those hats the nuns would wear ... stuff like that
and then the "other" habits which is what was on my mind yesterday.
This "habit" has to do with picking... picking my seat to be exact. Yesterday was Sunday, Sunday church...everybody happy, well I should say (good ole camp song). Yes church. We arrived at church and I greeted a few people, put my coat on the hanger, talked a little more and my family entered the sanctuary a few minutes before I did, as usual. I tend to dilly-dally slightly and therefore I end up coming in last, on time but last. With roughly 220 people in there preparing for worship I am never afraid that I will not find them because I know the secret, the map, the code of the Koskinens, the treasure hunt ends right-side about 1/4 of the way back from the front....BINGO! Those are our seats. Not to the extent that if there were others in our seats we would be offended, it's more of a general area deal. There they were and now I had joined them, my family- towards the front, right-side in their habitual spot...they are quirky.
Then I started thinking about my optometry conventions 500 docs, nice auditorium, many different doors to enter and no matter which door I go in I always end up 1/4 the way back, right-side! Even if I enter in the left doors, I go all the way around in the back, through crowds of drs who came in from the right but must sit to the left, and find my seat right-side and towards the front. What?! It's me, not my beautiful family! We went and saw the dead sea scrolls, there was a movie, I lead my wife to our seats, right-side! It's like a white-water deluge of thoughts coming to me, no matter where I go if I get to choose the seats I end up 1/4 the way back, right-side. Two weeks ago, Sunday morning, there were only 4 of us at church and I tried to shake things up - 3/4 of the way back, left-side! It was awful! Sound was bad, sight line was way off, people around me were nice (even though I did not recognize some of them). Pastor even looked different! So I am guilty, I have an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary...and that's fine. You know where to find me, no matter what event I'm at ... right-side, 1/4 the way from the front.
When church was over I went to leave, walked into the coat room and found my coat.... about 3/4 from the end, right-side....ridiculous!

Eye will see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment