Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I could have been an astronaut...



I own a decent telescope and once and a while I set it up in the backyard, drag my kids out there, focus, realign, bump the telescope, focus, realign and make them look at the moon.   They each look for the required 10 seconds and spurt out a hardly sincere comment....nice, cool, huh, wow and then they move on.  I could honestly stay out there for hours looking and I am not sure why.  It's just a larger view of the moon. But it is so awesome to see the craters and the textured surface. Just to think that somebody walked on it is amazing.  I know there are theories that it was all a hoax but I don't buy those thoughts.  I am sure it occurred and wish I could have been there!  I also know they hit a golf ball because I have one that says first golf ball on the moon.  Okay, that part I don't believe but it is a cool golf ball.  It had to be very peaceful on the moon, quiet and awkward yet at the same time heavenly.  To stand there and look out into space and see the Earth just as we see the moon from here.  I never wanted to be a fireman when I was a kid but an astronaut, maybe for a day or two.  I remember seeing a video on the training and for a kid who got sick on the spinning teacups I quickly accepted that I was probably not going to be a spaceman.  So for now I will continue setting up the telescope on those nice nights, drag my kids out, focus, bump, refocus and listen to them share my joy, "Yep, that's still the moon dad." "Nice"  "Can we go in now"

Eye will see you later.

Oh yeah, 2 chapters to go in The Shack.... another milestone just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment